<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, April 01, 2004

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time" and its retort "You can fool all of the people all of the time if the advertising is right and the budget big enough" were just two of the quotes that appeared on a worksheet on April Fool's Day that I used in some of my lessons today.

I think the second one is funny, as were some of the others: "If you wish to avoid seeing a fool, you must first break your mirror", and, from Groucho Marx, "You have the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I bet he was glad to get rid of it". However, having matched the beginnings and endings of these quotes, most of my students just shrugged their shoulders, not, apparently, seeing the humour. Fools.

In contrast, the Italian version of April Fool's Day - pesce d'aprile - involves, for reasons nobody can explain to me, fish. Apparantly the big joke in Italian schools is to stick a fish shape on people's backs. And indeed, I did see a couple of cars with cardboard fish stuck to them whilst cycling through town today. Hilarious. And we're the ones with the strange sense of humour?

Comments: Post a Comment